Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Meeting Jemima

One of the highlights of my trip was meeting me and Ryan's sponsored child, Jemima.  I remember getting in the bus that Saturday so anxious to arrive at Masajja and see her.  I even dreamed about it the night before. 

One of the greatest joys in a sponsored child’s life is to meet their sponsor. Likewise, it is such a huge blessing to meet the child you sponsor. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to go to Uganda and visit Jemima.

Jemima had three other sponsors before me but for one reason or another they stopped sponsoring her. I remember entering Jemima's bio into the computer during my first year at AMG. Her sweet smile and desperate story moved me and my husband to start sponsoring her (her father abandoned the family leaving her mother to care for Jemima and her two brothers on her own). Our relationship grew with letters and photos over the last two years. Honestly I never thought I would be able to go to Uganda because it is very far and very expensive. So, I never thought I would have the chance to meet Jemima. When it was official that I’d be traveling to Uganda I couldn’t wait to write Jemima and let her know I was coming!

This was taken after we first met
So, back to that Saturday...when we arrived at Masajja Childcare Center the Saturday program had already started so we took our seats (in the front) and I started scanning the crowd looking for Jemima.  I finally spotting her and knew it was her because she had spotted me too.  Once worship and the Bible lesson for the day were over it was time for "break tea" and she came to find me.  It is amazing to see the actual face of the photo you have been looking at for two years.  To know she is real and you are helping.  Jemima is a very sweet girl with a beautiful smile.  She was very timid at first but she kept holding my hand and smiling. 

Inside her home with her little brother
Jemima's mother is a cook at the childcare center and they live in a small room at the center (which is also a primary school and church).  I was able to peak into their home and meet Jemima's mom.  When I walked in I saw the photos the Ryan and I had sent her in picture frames on the table.  Wow!  Jemima's mother could not speak English but through a translator she expressed to me her gratitude to me and Ryan for all we do for them.  She started to tear up and so did I. 

Jemima, her mother, and me
When I left Masajja that day I didn't think I would be able to see Jemima again on this trip.  BUT, God is good and I was able to see her two more times.  During home visits in her area I had another opportunity to visit Jemima at her home.  I was blessed to be able to share with her family one of my favorite passages in scripture, Romans 5:1-5.  While we continued visiting homes of sponsored children Jemima came along with us holding onto my hand. 

Home Visit
During my time with Jemima I learned that she wants to be a bank manager one day so she loves math.  Jemima loves to sing and is in the choir at church and at the childcare center.  She has many good girl friends...in fact one of her good friends is named Gladys and my sister and brother in law sponsor her.

I knew that on the third day of being with Jemima I wouldn't be able to see her again and so did she.  I walked her to the bus that would take her home...she said she loved me through tears and I tried to be strong and keep it together but goodbyes are never easy. 

Saying Goodbye
Despite the sad goodbye I feel so completely blessed to be in Jemima's life.  Not only am I in Jemima's life but in her family's life.  What an honor to be able to help this sweet family.  I left Uganda feeling so encouraged by her family.  I know they are safe, I know Jemima has a good mother and friends to help her through life, and I know that both Jemima and her mother love the Lord and obey Him.

God willing I'll be able to go back to Uganda and see Jemima again.  I look forward to seeing her grow into a Godly young women with a very bright future.  Without AMG Jemima's life would be a lot different.  Her mom wouldn't be cooking at the center which provides her with a place to live...so they might be homeless.  Jemima probably wouldn't be able to go to school and learn math so she can be a bank manager.  She also might not be following Christ with her whole heart.  It pains me to think of many other young boys and girls who are missing out on these basic needs and human rights because they don't have a sponsor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment