Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is What it's ALL About

The last few weeks have been hard for me.  Since Uganda God has made the needs of the world very real to me.  Sometimes it is so overwhelming.  But today God showed me His grace when I received an email from Lutgarda (the childcare director in Lima).  

At the beginning of this year I wrote about meeting Melanie (me and Ryan's sponsored child in Peru) and visiting her home.  All of us were shocked at the state of her home.  Honestly, I don't think anyone could call it a home. 

Here it is...dirt floor, one bed for three people, walls made out of scraps of cardboard.  There was no door, no windows, and a roof that flew off if the wind was strong.  I'll never forget that evening; as I laid down in my comfy bed that night I thought about Melanie and where she was sleeping.  Every child deserves a safe and warm place to lay their head.  I wasn't the only one feeling this way; my parents and husband all felt burdened to help Melanie and her family.  You see, Melanie's father is not in the picture.  It is only her mother who provides for Melanie and her little brother.  Norma is her name and she travels around doing laundry for a very meager income.  

Once my family and I were back in the states my parents decided to provide the money to build Melanie and her family a new home and finally it is completed!  This morning I received some photos from Lutgarda and I tell you what it was a great way to start my morning!  Please allow me to share these photos with you. 
Norma and Aaron after the concrete was poured for the base of the home

Almost completed!


Melanie excited about her new home
Melanie's family with their new kitchen table
Melanie with her OWN bed!

Aaron, Melanie's little brother...very excited!
This is what it is all about.  Look at those smiles!  Lutgarda told us that Melanie was so excited about her new bed that she didn't want to sit on it to mess it up.  Can you imagine what it must have been like to sleep in her own bed for the first time in her life?  And she is 10 years old.  You can also see in these pictures that besides the bed and kitchen table there isn't much else in their home.  I hope and pray that we can help Melanie's mother start some type of business in order to continue providing for her family.  I am also excited that a good friend of mine will be sponsoring Aaron, Melanie's brother, providing extra support for the family. 


I can't help but think that if the Lutgarda and her family hadn't followed God and started a ministry in Saul Cantoral (where Melanie and her family live) and if AMG hadn't partnered with them then Melanie wouldn't be fed everyday, she might not be going to school, she would still be living in that shack, and she would have no hope.  Most of all I wouldn't have met Melanie who we love very much and we are so blessed to be part of her life. I can't wait to go back to Peru and see Melanie, Aaron and meet her mother.  

This is what it is all about...allowing God to use you for HIS glory to reach the needy and make HIS name and love known.  I am so thankful that God has used me and my family to reach out and show HIS love to Melanie and her family.  Now, anytime I am down I can look at this picture and see these sweet smiling faces...how could these faces not lift someones spirits?!


No comments:

Post a Comment