Friday, July 1, 2011

Getting Ready

Today is a month away from my trip to Uganda.  Seriously, this summer has flown by. So, I know this month will be gone before I know it and I'll be on a plane to Uganda.  Lots to get done!

Yesterday Stephanie and I went to the Hamilton County Health Department to get our immunizations for our trip.  We have to have Yellow Fever to get into Uganda and I am way behind on all my shots so I ended up getting 5, yes 5, shots!  Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Hep A/Hep B (in one shot), Polio, and Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis).  I am a bit sore today and have a slight headache but I'll survive!


all the shots between Steph and me

I'll also need to get a prescription for anti-malaria medicine.  Not really looking forward to taking it.  The two affordable options have their downsides; one is an antibiotic that you have to take daily and the other you only take weekly but it has been known to cause emotional problems or vivid dreams.  YIKES!   

I've been talking to Aly Houser (who has been to Uganda like 5 or 6 times) about what kind of stuff I will need to bring with me and I need quite a few things to be prepared.  For example, the right clothes...I need to wear long skirts (to my ankles) and breathable t-shirts (since it will be so hot).  Then things to carry with me everyday like hand sanitizer, snack food, little first aid kit, and the like.  I will also need to shop for a gift for our sponsored child Jemima and her family...that will be fun!  The team is also going to try and fill up the Upendo Christain Academy's library, so I need to get some good books to take with me. 

While some of these things I have to do to prepare for Uganda aren't too fun (shots and anti-malaria medicine) this is all exciting!  I have wanted to go to Africa for a long time and I really can't wait to meet Jemima, my parent's sponsored child in Uganda Kevin, and my sister's sponsored child Gladys.  Also, to just love on all the kids at the centers...it is worth all the bad stuff to be able to be Jesus' hands and feet. 



But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!” Romans 10:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment